Let's Work Together

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Let's Work Together

Post by Admin on Wed Mar 04, 2015 5:34 pm

Once we get the site populated, I plan to set up some polls and try to gain a consensus on a few things. However let us discuss the topic of logistics as it pertains to survival and survival groups.

"We must all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately." - Benjamin Franklin

• One man is an island. That one man can do whatever the hell he wants because he does not need to consider anyone else.

• Two men/women should consider the logistics of sharing similar equipment, food, shelter, etc. Just imagine if each person cooked a different and separate meal three times a day. The waste of fuel, water (for clean up), wear and tear on cooking utensils, etc., along with the monetary considerations for the procurement of the food itself. And that is just one item.

• A family/group is just a larger version of a couple/buddy pair, just as a large MAG, platoon, and/or company is a larger extension of a family/group.

So if you know that it doesn't make any sense for a couple/buddy pair to do everything separately, and each should not have different clothing and equipment, then why would you allow your Squad or MAG to have different items?

What are we talking about here? Logistics and the Supply train. As a person who specializes in procurement, it is a real pain in the ass when everyone wants something different. It does not matter what that thing or item is. It is far easier to put a single line item for a product, with a quantity of 20, than it is to put 20 individual line items, each for a different product. Sometimes it just has to be that way. Clothing is an excellent example. Not everyone in the group wears 30/30 pants. But, everyone can (and should) pick the same material and/or pattern and color.

Forward Observer Magazine just had a great article series on the ICS System, defined thus: The primary aim of the ICS is to allow diverse groups to converge on an incident and effectively respond. As the article clearly explains, those "groups" must buy into the system as well as have several key measures: Common terminology, Common skill-sets, and Common training /exercises. That is important. They must have commonality.

Though it is not directly addressed, part of common skills require common equipment. Though not impossible, it is difficult to provide common training without common equipment. Battle drills are battle drills, regardless of what you carry. But if you are a responder to an event, and you bring uncommon equipment, then the supply train may not be able to resupply you since you did not get with the program. Read: buying in to the system.

Though the ICS System article was specifically referring to FREEFOR operations, this easily translates to survival MAGs. If you want to be part of a MAG, then you should buy into the system. That means that everyone in the group agrees to use common terminology, develop common skill-sets, and have common training/exercises, as well as use common materials and equipment.

This argument can be pushed out even further. Just as ICS System is designed to coordinate "responders" from around the country, and the ICS System for FREEFOR response is designed to allow commonly trained and equipped "responders" to work together and be well supplied during an event, a similar system allows for various MAGs over a large geographic area to work together with common goals, interests, materials, equipment, and training. And more importantly it allows those MAGs who have bought into the system to streamline their supply train, reducing costs, and increasing efficiency.

To be more direct. If individual groups/MAGs buy into a common system, and there was a need to procure common ammunition, i.e.: 5.56, the groups/MAGs can pool their resources and purchase hundreds of thousands of rounds at a reduced total cost than if they bought it individually one case at a time. Or if said groups/MAGs wanted to purchase water filtration systems, or boots, or any number of survival type items, their pooled money can be leveraged with vendors to get better pricing, and in some cases, can allow for custom options on certain items.

What is the cost difference between retail, dealer, and distributor prices? On one commonly available AR-15 30-round magazine, the dealer pays 30% less than a retail customer, and the distributor pays 60% less than the retail customer. What prevents a consumer from becoming a dealer or distributor? Buy in costs. Dealers may have to buy in with $500 to $5,000 per order to get dealer prices, and distributor's buy in usually starts at $10,000 or more. When you pool resources, distributor pricing is within reach.

The end result is that everyone in the system, who has agreed to the commonality will be better supplied for less money, will better trained to a common standard, and can better work together when the time comes.

So, let's work together!
Admin
Admin

View user profile http://survivalsanity.team-talk.net

Back to top Go down

Re: Let's Work Together

Post by Texas Patriot on Sat Mar 07, 2015 11:37 am

This is an excellent way to do things and is what I have been saying for several years now.
This does not mean you can't keep your favorite weapon or particular toys, just that you need to have commonality for your future needs.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Sat Mar 07, 2015 11:59 am

This new website will be solely dedicated to this one purpose - standardization. It will be all of our jobs to buy into this system and then use it to our advantage.
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by tnewty on Sat Mar 07, 2015 4:51 pm

Thanks for starting again.

tnewty

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by audie7 on Sat Mar 07, 2015 5:48 pm

Great concept, I stress logistics of too many calibers for too many rifles, of course I stress 5.56, 7.62 due to NATO availability ( most produced ammo out there) side arms: 9mm and .45 ACP.

My wife and I, one primary rifle caliber with matched rifles and one handgun caliber for side arm and concealed. Interchangeable mags., where appropriate as well.
audie7

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Texas Patriot on Sun Mar 08, 2015 9:44 am

This means that some will have to change things that they currently prefer. This will not be an easy task.
People will need to learn that in a situation, your life may depend on standardized gear and equipment.
We will all have to come to an agreement and live with it.
I for one, do not like change, but when comes to my families survival, I will get over the change.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Sun Mar 08, 2015 10:03 am

Texas Patriot wrote:This means that some will have to change things that they currently prefer. This will not be an easy task.
People will need to learn that in a situation, your life may depend on standardized gear and equipment.
We will all have to come to an agreement and live with it.
I for one, do not like change, but when comes to my families survival, I will get over the change.

I "prefer" to survive. If I have to change things to increase those odds, then that is what I am willing to do. I prefer the bunker mentality, but that is not a viable survival strategy, so I have learned to do those things that I preferred not doing in order to better my chances.

If people do not want to buy in to the concept, that is fine. They will simply be left out of the logistical supply side and/or given tasks that suit their proclivities. When they don't understand why they have been left out, we can point to all of the people around who have commonality to make the point.
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by LSP on Wed Mar 11, 2015 10:11 pm

Everything, Admin, that you say, makes sense.

Good call -- and if battle drills are standard, why shouldn't everything else be, too? Heh...
LSP

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top