Boo Boo Medical Kit

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Boo Boo Medical Kit

Post by Admin on Tue Mar 10, 2015 10:57 am

I have put together multiple, compact boo boo (first aid) kits that deal with the basics in the field. The contents are usually simple things like band aids, mole skins, pain relievers, allergy meds, anti-biotic cream, steri-strips, anti-fungal cream, anti-diarrheals, alcohol swabs, etc. These deal with small aches, pains, and scrapes.

In some cases, I carry a larger medical kit to deal with more serious injuries. But not too long ago I ran into a situation I was not prepared to deal with (nor was anyone else present, including the medics.) During an "event," someone received a deep laceration on the arm. Several of us had "kits" with us. We thought that between us all, we could deal with the issue in the field (we were a very long way from any medical facilities.) We had Celox, skin staplers, suture kits, ace bandages, gauze of all type and sizes, BP cuffs, O2 sensors, heart rate monitors, and even a portable defibrillator. But what none of us had was the ability to clean the large wound. We had a few small packages of iodine, and some alcohol swabs and such, but nothing to irrigate the wound with in our kits. Our small amounts of Providone Iodine, Hydrogen Peroxide, and alcohol added together still was not enough. What we needed was saline (sterile salt water.)

We improvised. (Note that none of us individually had everything required to make the solution. We each brought something to the table to make the solution, which could be a serious issue in a different circumstance.)

We needed sterile components, water and salt. One person had a half gallon of distilled water, but it had been riding around in his car for a year. Another guy had a Sawyer .02 Purifier that could produce hospital quality purified water. Purified water is not the same as distilled, but it would work based on what we had on hand. A girl there had a sealed bottle of Mediterranean sea salt.

We had no way to accurately measure 9 grams of salt per 1000ml of water, and since this was not being used internally, it was not going to have any adverse effect, but we did our best to get close. We poured 1000ml of the distilled water into someones Nalgene Titan water bottle, which had mL markings on the outside. Then we added approximately 9 grams of the sea salt to the bottle, sealed it and shook until the salt was dissolved. Then we ran the distilled water through the Sawyer purifier into a bellows bottle that a friend dropped on my dash board a couple of years ago (and I somehow still had it.) With this the wound was flushed, medicated, stapled, sealed, and wrapped.

All of this took a good 30-45 minutes along with the various discussions that took place. How nice it would have been to have had one of these $10 3oz items in one of our kits specifically for this type of wound care:

along with a $5 bottle of this:

You don't know what you don't know, until you find out the hard way.
Admin
Admin

View user profile http://survivalsanity.team-talk.net

Back to top Go down

Re: Boo Boo Medical Kit

Post by audie7 on Sun Mar 15, 2015 2:46 pm

Excellent
audie7

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Texas Patriot on Mon May 11, 2015 8:04 pm

Available at Academy according to their website. I will have to check it out. I have a merchandise card I'm itching to use.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top